The enjoyment and usefulness of this guidebook will be greatly enhanced by the
employment of maps in conjunction with the text. A vast amount of information
is available from the following sources:
Topographical Maps of All States
- Powers Elevation Co., Inc., PO Box 440889, Aurora, CO 80044. Phone (800)
824-2550. All USGS topos: $6, plus postage and handling charge from $2 to
$10 per order. Visa, MasterCard, and American Express accepted. Allow 510
- Timely Discount Topos, Inc., 9769 West 119th Drive, Suite 9, Broomfield,
CO 80020. Phone (800) 821-7609. All USGS topos: $6, plus postage and $1 handling
charge per order. Checks only. Allow 510 days.
- The U.S. Geological Survey, Map Sales, Box 25286, Denver, CO 80225. Phone
(303) 236-7477. Call (800) USA-MAPS first for a free index with order form.
Cost: $2.50 for 1:24,000, $4 for 1:100,000. Allow 68 weeks.
Topographical Maps of Georgia
- Enpro Engineering Reprographics, 1800 Peachtree Street, Suite 210, Atlanta,
GA 30309. Phone (404) 355-8520. Cost: $3 for 1:24,000, $4.50 for 1:100,000,
plus postage and $1.89 if maps are rolled rather than folded. Allow 58
- The Georgia Geological Survey, Agriculture Building, Room 406A, 19 Martin
Luther King Jr. Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30334. Phone (404) 656-3214. Cost: $2.50
for 1:24,000; $4 for 1:100,000, plus 6 percent sales tax and postage. Allow
Topographical Maps of Western North Carolina and
of Towns County and Rabun County, Georgia
- Macon County Supply Company, 190 Depot Street, Franklin, NC 28734. Phone
(704) 524-4428. Cost: $3.75 for 1:24,000. Raised relief maps of GA, NC, SC,
and TN: $14.95 for 1:125,000.
- Black Rock Mountain State Park, Mountain City, GA 30562. Phone (706) 746-2141.
Raised relief maps of central and southern Appalachian areas (AL through PA):
$16.95 for 1:125,000 quads. USA raised relief maps: $12.95$19.95. Raised
relief maps of Shenandoah and Great Smoky Mountain National Parks: $8.95.
State Park Maps
- The Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Parks, Recreation, and Historic
Sites Division, Floyd Tower East, 205 Butler Street SE, Suite 1352, Atlanta,
GA 30334. Phone (404) 656-3530. To make reservations, call the appropriate
park at the number listed in Appendix B.
Forest Service Maps
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Information Center,
Room 154, 1720 Peachtree Road NW, Atlanta, GA 30309-2417. Phone (404) 347-2384.
Or, in limited quantities, from USFS district offices throughout Georgia.
Cost: free, $1, $6. Maps used for this guidebook included the Cherokee National
Forest, the Appalachian Trail, the Chattahoochee National Forest, the Chattooga
National Wild and Scenic River, the Cohutta Wilderness, the Nantahala Wilderness,
and the Southern Nantahala Wilderness and Standing Indian Basin.
TVA Maps of Lakes Blue Ridge, Chatuge, and Nottely
- The Tennessee Valley Authority, Maps and Surveys Department (HB1A), 1101
Market Street, Chattanooga, TN 37402-2801. Phone (615) 751-6277. Cost: $1.50
Army Engineers' Lake Maps of Carters Lake and Lake
- Allatoona Lake, PO Box 487, Cartersville, GA 30120-0487. Phone (770) 382-4700,
fax (770) 386-6758.
- Carters Lake, PO Box 96, Oakman, GA 30732-0096. Phone (706) 334-2248, fax
State Highway Maps and County Road maps
- Alabama Highway Department, 1409 Coliseum Boulevard, Room R-103, Montgomery,
AL 36130. Phone (205) 261-6071.
- Georgia Department of Transportation, Map Sales Division, 2 Capitol Square,
Atlanta, GA 30334. Phone (404) 656-5336.
- North Carolina Department of Transportation, Map Section, Public Affairs
Unit, PO Box 25201, Raleigh, NC 27611. Phone (919) 733-7600.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation, Map Sales Division, PO Box
191, Columbia, SC 29202. Phone (803) 737-1501.
- Tennessee Department of Transportation, Map Sales Office, Suite 300, James
K. Polk Building, 505 Deaderick Street, Nashville, TN 37243-0345. Phone (615)
Note: Information on road conditions in Georgia is available from the Georgia
Department of Transportation at (404) 624-7890.
and add comments about this page
Reader-Contributed Links to the Georgia Mountains Book: