Highroad Guide to the
By Deane and Garvey Winegar
Books and References
The books and resources below are more than just a list. Taken as a whole,
the resources represent a tremendous wealth of information to help the wanderer
in Virginia's mountains piece together a fascinating puzzle.
- Birds of the Blue Ridge Mountains by Marcus B. Simpson Jr., University
of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC 1992.
- Blue Ridge Parkway Guide by William G. Lord, Menasha Ridge
Press, Birmingham, AL 1981.
- Classic Virginia Rivers by Ed Grove, Eddy Out Press, Arlington, VA
- A Cyclist's Guide to the Shenandoah Valley by Randy Porter and Nancy
Sorrells, Shenandoah Odysseys, Staunton, VA 1995.
- Endangered and Threatened Species in Virginia by Karen Terwilliger
and John R. Tate, McDonald & Woodward Publishing, Blacksburg, VA 1995.
- Fall Wildflowers of the Blue Ridge and Great Smoky Mountains by Oscar
W. Gupton and Fred C. Swope, University Press of Virginia, Charlottesville,
- Geology and Virginia by Richard V. Dietrich, University Press of
Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 1970.
- Going Underground: Your Guide to Caves in the Mid-Atlantic by Sharon
Hernes Silverman, Camino Books, Inc., Philadelphia, PA 1991.
- Guide to Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive by Henry Heatwole,
Shenandoah Natural History Association, Luray, VA 1997.
- A Guide to Virginia's Wildlife Management Areas, Virginia Department
of Game and Inland Fisheries, Richmond, VA 1996.
- Hikes to Waterfalls in Shenandoah National Park by Shenandoah Natural
History Association, Luray, VA 1997.
- Hiking Virginia by Randy Johnson, Falcon Press Publishing Co., Inc.,
Helena MT 1992.
- Mountains of the Heart: A Natural History of the Appalachians by
Scott Weidensaul, Fulcrum Publishing, Golden, CO 1994.
- A Naturalist's Blue Ridge Parkway by David T. Catlin, University
of Tennessee Press, Knoxville, TN 1984.
- Natural Wonders of Virginia: A Guide to Parks, Preserves & Wild Places
by Garvey and Deane Winegar, Country Roads Press, Brecksville, OH 1994.
- Out There Virginia: A Guide to Backcountry Travel & Adventure
by James Bannon, Out There Press, Asheville, NC 1997.
- Roadside Geology of Virginia by Dr. Keith Frye, Mountain Press Publishing
Co., Missoula, MT 1986.
- Short Hikes in Shenandoah National Park by Shenandoah Natural History
Association, Luray, VA 1994.
- Trails of Virginia: Hiking the Old Dominion by Allen De Hart, University
of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC 1995.
- Trout Fishing in the Shenandoah National Park by Harry W. Murray,
Shenandoah Publishing Company, Edinburg 1989.
- Virginia Atlas and Gazetteer by DeLorme Mapping Company, Freeport,
- Virginia Fishing Guide by Bob Gooch, University of Virginia Press,
Charlottesville, VA 1988.
- Virginia Outdoors: The Official Outdoor Recreation Guide by Virginia
Tourism Corporation, Richmond, VA (Issued annually).
- Virginia State Parks by Bill Bailey, Glovebox Guidebooks of America,
Saginaw, MI 1996.
- Walking the Blue Ridge: A Guide to the Trails of the Blue Ridge Parkway
by Leonard Adkins, University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, 1991.
- Wildflowers of the Shenandoah Valley and Blue Ridge Mountains by
Oscar W. Gupton and Fred C. Swope, University Press of Virginia, Charlottesville,
and add comments about this page
Reader-Contributed Links to the Virginia Mountains Book:
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Published (print): 1998, Published (Web): April 2001, Revised
(Web): November 2002, ISBN: 1-56352-462-7