Guide to the Tennessee Mountains
By Vernon and Cathy Summerlin
AT Road Crossings
These are the names or numbers of roads that the AT crosses. These are easy
places to access the trail. Few crossings offer parking along the highways,
and many highway crossings are not marked. It is recommended that all hikers
carry an AT guidebook and map that details the section of the trail they intend
- US 421 between Shady Valley, TN, and Bristol, TN.
- TN 91 between Elizabethton, TN, and Shady Valley, TN.
- TN 67 between Hampton, TN, and Mountain City, TN.
- US 321 between Hampton, TN, and Boone, NC.
- US 19E between Roan Mountain, TN, and Elk Park, NC.
- TN 143/NC 261 between Roan Mountain, TN, and Bakersville, NC.
- TN 107/NC 226 between Unicoi, TN, and Bakersville, NC.
- TN 395/NC 197 between Erwin, TN, and Bakersville, NC.
- US 19W between Ernestville, TN, and Burnsville, NC.
- US 23 between Flag Pond, TN, and Mars Hill, NC.
- TN 352/NC 212 between Rocky Fork, TN, and Hot Springs, NC.
- TN 70/NC 208 between Greeneville, TN, and Hot Springs, NC.
- US 25/70 between Newport, TN, and Hot Springs, NC.
- I-40 at the TN/NC state line.
- TN 32 between Cosby, TN, and Mt. Sterling, NC.
- US 441 between Gatlinburg, TN, and Cherokee, NC.
- NC 28 at Fontana Dam, NC.
- US 64 between Murphy, NC, and Franklin, NC.
Published (print): 1999, Published (Web): January 2003,