[Fig. 8(16)] Isolated by twisting roads in questionable condition, mountain settlers came to rely on general stores to keep them in touch and supplied. Since 1883, Mast General Store has played a key role in the community surrounding Valle Crucis, so named because three creeks converge there in the shape of a cross.
The store, which once had the reputation for carrying "everything from cradles to caskets," continues to serve both as a place to gather and a storehouse of clothing, footwear, outdoor gear, maps, and books. Nearby, an antique post office is still used by the valley's residents.
Because the valley remains much as it was in its early days, the state of North Carolina has recognized this area as its first Rural Historic District.
Read and add comments about this page